Thursday, July 19, 2007

Batty!


Second rabid bat found in Lakeside - mlive.com: "Muskegon County health officials are urging area residents to bat-proof their homes after a second rabid bat was found this week in a house in Muskegon's Lakeside neighborhood.
The homeowner who found the bat called county officials, who removed the animal and tested it. The bat tested positive for rabies, according to county health officials. "


My bat story!
A hundred years ago, or so it seems, I was a little kid visiting relatives in South Salem NY, near Bill&Hill's Chappaqua. The parents were partying and us kids were wandering in the woods. I happened upon a nifty little critter on the ground, picked it up and the bugger bit me. It was a bat. I tried to drop it but the sombich had a quality chomp on my finger. I poped 'em in the gut with my other hand and he let go. The bite drew a small amount of blood, so I did what any pre-macho 5th grader would do, I sucked on my finger til it stopped bleeding and went to play with my cousins. Later that evening, at dinner I casually told my Mom about my little event. Thinking I'd get an "ataboy" for facing a wild animal and showing who was "boss". Apparently rabid bats were plentiful that year in NY and Mom and Dad went ....ballistic!Anyway, I was told to "go get that bat!". Yeah right. The cops were called and I moseyed back into the woods and, amazingly found my biting buddy on the ground. Right where I'd bopped 'em. So I picked him up again. Smart kid! Though I still wonder why my parents didn't come with me......
The state trooper car was in the driveway, lights blaring and they wisked my bite-bat-buddy away. Next day we were told he wasn't rabid.
Only later did I find that if I hadn't found the bat, the nifty stomach needles were my last hope at survival.
That's my bat story!

No comments: