Monday, June 22, 2009

Rangel unloads on N.Y. Pos

Rangel unloads on N.Y. Post
Ben Smith - POLITICO.com: "Rangel unloads on N.Y. Post
Charlie Rangel denounced a New York Post story accusing him of helping out a niece accused of corruption:
“It is going to be difficult for you to print this, but the only connection between that woman and me is she is a person of color,” Rangel said after attending graduation ceremonies at The Mott Hall School in Harlem with ex-president Bill Clinton.

“I have never heard of her, I don’t know anybody that knows her, and I don’t know why The Post would do this, except that I am a public official.”

“But...I am prepared to give a charity $1,000 if they can find any connection between this lady and me. I don’t know the woman.”

Asked a second time if he might be distantly related to Smith through blood or marriage, the powerful chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee denied any and all ties to her.

“Blood, marriage, fraternity, neighborhood - it is just as though (the Post editors) are drunk with ignorance and they wake up in the morning and say, ‘What can we make up?’” he said."

No comments: