Thursday, April 19, 2012

A request from a constituent-me!

E-mail sent to my Muskegon county commissioner:

Dear commissioner Scolnik,

About a month ago, I hand delivered my application to Heath Kaplan, director of Finance and Management Services in hopes of being appointed to the "Citizens Review Committee/Jail and Juvenile Transition Center - 11 slots, public".

Heath assured me he would pass my application on to you.

Since that time, other citizens have told me they have been contacted by their county commissioners either by phone or by mailed questionnaires.

I have yet to hear from you and, as the final appointment date is approaching, I wanted to make sure you had received my application and ask if you need any more information from me about my qualifications for appointment.

As you are well aware, I attend (and video) most county commission meetings and most special meetings focusing on the "jail" issue.

I have studied how other counties have addressed jail and finance issues in great detail and my multiple decades of experience in municipal finance as a financial advisor and branch manager should add a solid financial element to the citizens committee.

I also believe that complete transparency and the interests of the citizenry should be paramount.

As I was not notified by you nor invited to last week's meeting that discussed the new jail location and am aware the date for final appointment to the committee is next week, I am disheartened not to have heard from you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jim Riley

No comments: