Saturday, September 22, 2012

“…Electricity Rates Would Necessarily Skyrocket”

“…Electricity Rates Would Necessarily Skyrocket” | Blue Crab Boulevard
Look, folks, I am in this field.
I have been for more than 30 years. Losing 36,000 MWs of the most cost-efficient generation capacity in the US is a disaster.
You have no idea how bad the increases are going to be.
They will be disastrous to the individual energy consumers and apocalyptic to large users – those who create jobs.

I shudder to think of what this is going to do to grid reliability as well.
A lot of those coal plants help support the grid during disruptions.
They regularly provide both energy and MVARs (Mega Volt-Ampere Reactive) that keep the grid from collapsing when large loads are added or lost. (That’s about as simple as I can make it and still be understood.)
Losing these stabilizers will make it very hard to hold the grid.
I pity the load dispatchers.

Trust me, people, this is a very big, very bad thing that is happening as a direct result of Barack Obama’s war on coal.

No comments: