Monday, August 05, 2013

The Kindle has turned me off paper books

The Kindle has turned me off paper books | Books | theguardian.com:
"It has been a few years since I read an actual book on a plane, and I was astonished at how cumbersome, how intractably wrong, it felt in my hands.
I found myself – which I have never done before and heartily disapprove of – folding the book in half so that only the page I was reading was visible.
That gave me a cramp in my right hand, and the pages wouldn't stay still, quite, as I read. I found myself swaying slightly, as if at the Wailing Wall. Then I went back to the two-handed double-page-opened position – even describing it makes it seem like an obscure sort of manoeuvre, rather than a natural function – but I still couldn't settle down.
The book was too fat. 
It was too heavy. 
It spread out too widely.
It was as if I had taken an unruly small pet onto the plane and couldn't keep it under control."

No comments: