Friday, January 03, 2014

Amazing American. Amazing life.--------WWII Veteran Aviator Bill Overstreet and His P-51 Mustang, "Berlin Express"

Extraordinary artwork depicting one of Bill Overstreet's most dramatic aerial victories, by Len Krenzler of Action Art  (Image Credit: Len Krenzler / Action Art )Bill passed away Dec. 29, 2013
He was 92.
WWII Veteran Aviator Bill Overstreet and His P-51 Mustang, "Berlin Express"
Bill relates, “Not long after (the March 6th Mission), I had a freak accident. 
I think it was a mission to southern France. 
While over enemy territory, a burst of flak cut my oxygen line. 
Since I was at about 25,000 feet, I soon passed out. 
The next thing I knew, I was in a spin, engine dead since the fuel tank it was set on was dry. 
Somehow, I recovered from the spin, changed fuel setting, got the engine started, and dodged the trees that were in front of me. 
Then, I looked at my watch. 
Ninety minutes were not in my memory. 
I had no idea where I was, but remembered where I had been headed so I reversed it. 
I was able to find the coast of France and headed for Leiston. 
By this time, I was low on fuel, so I landed at the Fourth Group base.  – Lowell Thomas on radio, newspapers and TIME magazine.

No comments: