Thursday, January 16, 2014

House easily passes $1T omnibus spending bill with 359-67 vote

House easily passes $1T omnibus spending bill with 359-67 vote | TheHill:
"While most Democrats clearly preferred funding the government over risking a government shutdown, they also complained that the process needs to improve.
“This can be described very charitably as a mixed bag,” said Rep. James McGovern (D-Mass.). “This is a 1,500-page bill that nobody has actually read.”
Yet the bill won even more support than the two-year budget deal it was based on. Ninety-four House members had voted against the budget deal.
Even conservative budget hawk Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.), who had signaled he would vote against any bill based on the new budget, voted “yes.”
“When I ran for office in 2010, I told people that I wanted to roll back spending in Washington to 2008 [pre-stimulus] levels,” he said. “I even put that on my flyers. Today, I had the chance to do what I told people I would do if they elected me.”
House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) said he was surprised by the strong vote

“I’m almost giddy,” he said. “I think it’s a really good demonstration of trying to work across the aisle and across the dome.”"

No comments: