Sunday, February 09, 2014

10 Travel Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Life

10 Travel Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Life - Airfarewatchdog:

"Contracting Parasites 
 You can't see them, and you might not know you have them until months or even years later, but parasites can ruin your health.

Microscopic parasites can be contracted by drinking contaminated water, by eating undercooked meats or improperly washed fruits and vegetables, or through a bug bite.

One SmarterTravel staffer experienced the trauma of a parasite, and his story gives us chills:
"I don't know where I contracted [leishmaniasis].
They think most likely when I was in Crete, since that timing seemed to fit and that was the only place I'd been where this disease occurs, although it's still pretty rare there.
If it was Crete, the symptoms didn't appear until almost a year later.
I was on and off sick for about four months until they figured out what it was.
Went through lots of doctor's visits and tests.
They were going to remove my spleen for diagnosis but found out what it was right before that."

No comments: