Saturday, July 26, 2014

The very expensive death of the Chevy Volt

The very expensive death of the Chevy Volt:

I've been a student of the Chevy Volt electric-car debacle since the first time I took a stab at figuring out the actual per-unit cost of each car, with the subsidies figured in.  

The thing launched with a sticker price of $41,000, but direct state and federal subsidies - i.e. taxpaying chumps forced at gunpoint to pay for part of your shiny new electric car - could take it down to $33,500 or less.  

But if you figured in all the subsidies those taxpayer chumps were forced to give manufacturers, they really cost at least $81,000 apiece.  

You paid $33k or so, while people who will never drive a Volt, and maybe never buy a Chevy, covered the rest.

Later Voltologists suggested I was being far too generous to this boondoggle, because the subsidies indirectly drawn into production of the vehicle and its battery were far larger than the direct nuts-and-bolts subsidies I was counting.  It has been suggested the real unit cost was closer to $200,000 per car.

1 comment:

Thomas J. Thias said...

Permission to leave a comment?

My name is "Thomas J. Thias"
Google my name in quotes for my introduction to you, Mr. Michigan Pundit.

I would like to have an interview.

There are amazing things you need to know about the Michigan Made, Michigan Fueled Chevy Volt.

I do save $200 a month in fuel driving this car. Can document!

Michigan Made Electric Fuel costs me bout a buck a day driving 14,000 robust miles a year!

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

Ps If your political dogma must force you to delete my message or, and I respect this greatly, if your deep seated belief's, regardles if wrong prevent you from calling me, I respect your positions completely. TJT