Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Student Suspended for Slicing Apple During Healthy Snacks Presentation

Student Suspended for Slicing Apple During Healthy Snacks Presentation - Hit & Run : Reason.com:
Da'von Shaw, a Bedford, Ohio high school student, brought apples and craisins to school for a "healthy eating" presentation he was giving to his speech class. He took out a knife to slice an apple, and I'm sure you can all guess what happened next:
“When I took out the knife the teacher then told me that I couldn't use it, so I didn't hesitate I just gave it to her,” said Da'von.
He continued with his other classes, but late in the day was suspended for five days. The suspension letter charged him with having a weapon at school. 
His mother Shakila Wilson is angry, saying, “I can take off my belt and use that as a weapon. Pens and pencils can be used as a weapon. You can't take a person with no intentions to harm and put them as a criminal because that's what you normally do.” 
She feels the punishment is too much, didn't take the circumstances into account and worries about her son missing classes and assignments.

No comments: