Wednesday, May 20, 2015

LIBERTY REVIEW

LIBERTY REVIEW:

http://www.libertyreview76.blogspot.com/2015/05/bang-bang-by-tammy-derouin-i-witnessed.html

Bang!  Bang!

By Tammy Derouin

I witnessed something extraordinary on a school playground.  An activity which was once typical child’s play has been banished and is now treated like criminal activity.  I probably spent more time watching and gauging the reaction of parents and wondering when the SWAT team was going to descend from the trees than I spent watching the kids.

The kids were enjoying one of my favorite childhood activities, a game of Good vs. Evil, or as we called it in my day, playing guns.  The “bad guys” have changed but the objective remains the same.  I remember playing Army with the neighborhood kids.  I fought the Nazi’s on the ground and the Commie’s in my fighter plane.  We also played Navy.  One of the neighborhood boys had a basement which was perfect for pretending we were on a submarine.  Yeah, we torpedoed the enemy! No, we didn’t apologize!

In this particular game, Zombies were the enemy.  The kids knew who and what was evil.  They even knew the objective was total elimination.  A familiar sound of chasing and defeating the enemy filled the air. Bang! Bang!  Nerf Guns were the weapon of choice.  Several kids ran around with Nerf Guns and to my pleasant surprise, no one felt the need stop them.  Toy guns weren’t confiscated and no one was suspended.... 


No comments: