Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Home-care workers find getting out harder than getting in union

Home-care workers find getting out harder than getting in union - Watchdog.org:
"Renee Katz has one question for the Service Employees International Union:
What part of “no” don’t you understand?
“I can’t get out of it. 
They want me to now do some letter and certify mail it.
They didn’t certify mail anything to me.
And then every time I call or email, they try to talk me into staying,” said Katz.
The Oakdale mother works part-time as a personal care assistant for her special needs daughter and other care recipients through subsidized programs designed to avoid institutionalized care.
She was outraged to learn 3 percent of their gross wages would be taken for dues for a union she didn’t realized she joined.
Her hard-line response stands out because Katz comes from a pro-union family.
“We’re a huge union family.
My husband’s union is wonderful,” Katz said.
 “… It’s not that I don’t believe in unions. 
It’s just not right for me. 
I don’t want to be part of the union, 
I don’t need it.”"

No comments: