Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Clinton, Asked What She’ll Do About Money in Politics, Explains “Mrrph Blvvvr Lrrrrg”

Clinton, Asked What She’ll Do About Money in Politics, Explains “Mrrph Blvvvr Lrrrrg”:
"Newly available video shows Hillary Clinton at the Iowa City Public Library responding to a request from Mason Buonadonna, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student, to “name two civic things that you’re going to do to combat money in politics.”
Clinton, who has vaguely vowed to make “Revitalizing Our Democracy” one of the “Four Fights” of her presidential campaign, responded largely with a flavorless mush of platitudes...
Transcript:
BUONADONNA: Do you know if you support publicly financed elections?
CLINTON: Yeah?
BUONADONNA: And can you name two civic things that you’re going to do to combat money in politics?
CLINTON: Well, let me say that I believe in publicly financed elections, we’ve had a check box on the tax form for a long time, and most people don’t check it anymore. 
And with the Supreme Court opening the door to all this unaccountable, undisclosed money, it’s very difficult to get the changes we need. 
And then we’ve got a Federal Elections Commission that is paralyzed because Republicans won’t enforce the laws, even as we think that they should be. 
So I think we have to do several things. 
Most importantly, we have to reverse the effects, not just of Citizens United, but of the Buckley case, and I’m going to do everything I can to appoint Supreme Court justices who understand that, I’ll do everything I can to then go to a legal framework and, as I said, if necessary I will support a constitutional amendment, okay?
BUONADONNA: Thank you so much.
CLINTON: Thank you.

No comments: