Wednesday, September 02, 2015

LIBERTY REVIEW

LIBERTY REVIEW:

http://www.libertyreview76.blogspot.com/2015/09/september-2-2015-hometown-town-393-by.html

Hometown
    Beach Town
               LST 393

By Tammy Derouin

I spent the better part of my younger years hoping to leave my hometown.  I didn’t have a legitimate grievance.  My hometown didn’t wrong me or make life difficult.  I would have experienced the same ups and downs had I grown up in a different location. 

There were a couple opportunities which could have put my hometown behind me but I passed.  It just didn’t feel right.  I attempted to force the issue by applying to just about every airline in the sky.  My plan was to be a flight attendant.  I would travel and eventually land on greener grass.
 
Back in the late 1980’s there were many airlines, so many possibilities!  I eagerly applied and wondered which one I would choose.  Rejection letters began to arrive.  They rejected me as rapidly as I applied. A height standard was strictly enforced.  I fell short of the bar, way short of the bar.  The good Lord has a sense of humor, although I didn’t think it was very funny at the time.  My height or lack thereof was predetermined.  I never had a chance.

The more I tried to leave, the more resistance I encountered.  I began to rethink the possibilities I had turned down. The one which kept me wondering the most was the military.  I wanted to fly; I wanted to be a pilot. Women weren’t trained to be military pilots when I was of the age to join.  I walked away from the recruiter’s desk.   

I struggled with regret.  I could have at least been around planes, right?  But, forcing something when it doesn’t feel right tends to have other consequences... 

No comments: