Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad's flag














I originally posted this on 4/6/2006 and thought it would go well with the story of Private First Class Jack G. Rasey and the flag his son bought in his Dad's name.

"Today is Take an American Flag to Work Day so I though it might be a good time to recount this little story about the last birthday gift I received from my father.
Dad passed away last summer after a broken hip forced him to move into assisted living. 
We'd become fast friends in the last 15 years after my rather tumultuous youth.
Like many fathers, Dad hated shopping and early on caved to reality, just sending a generous check as Christmas and birthday gifts. 
Most times I'd send Dad a thank you and deposit the check in my checking account, soon to be forgotten.
But last year, after my visit to his new apartment, reality crept into my consciousness and I realized that Dad might not be with me forever.
My birthday check arrived shortly after my visit and for some reason, I just hung on to it, not depositing it for a few weeks. 
It took me some time but I soon realized that I wanted to do something special with my father's gift.
As luck would have it, I was chatting with a friend who has his own flagpole and I asked him who had installed it. 
He had done it himself, and I instantly had the answer to my quest for the perfect gift from Dad.
A few days later it was up. 
Lighted at night, almost always flapping proudly during the day.
I took a photo of the flag and sent it to Dad and I think he got as much of a kick out of as did I. 
He even asked me to send him additional photos of my birthday gift.
Dad served in WW2 and Korea, losing his fighter pilot brother over France in 1943. 
He instilled a tremendous sense of American pride and patriotism in all his children and he was wonderfully proud to fit into his old US Naval officer's uniform a few years back. 
Yes, that's Dad up top.
We all must bear the loss of our parents but the memories of their love and life lessons live on.
My Father is gone now but his spirit and "Dad's Flag" greet me each time I come home.
Thank you, Dad. for the wonderful memories that make me smile even as I grieve."

No comments: