Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Liberal humor?

7/25/2006-- Media Research Center: " In a week of bad news, CBS's Bob Schieffer found good news and uplifted his spirits by reading obituaries. In his commentary at the end of Sunday's Face the Nation, the CBS Evening News anchor contended that 'the awful news of last week reminded me just how much we need newspapers' since 'the joy of reading a newspaper...comes from finding information we were not looking for.' He related how 'the main news was so grim I found myself turning to the newspapers for a little relief. Deep in the Times one day last week, surrounded by all of that war news, I found an obituary of Robert Brooks, who founded the Hooter's restaurant chain. The writer said that Hooters was known for spicy chicken wings and even spicier waitresses. Now who could read that and not at least smile?' How about his widow? And: 'I found another story about the death of Arthur Haggerty. I learned he was credited with making dog training into a respectable profession and was known to legions of dogs as 'he who must be obeyed.' Hadn't known of him myself, but I won't forget him after reading that.' "

No comments: