Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memorial Day memories


Daily Pundit » Weekend Cooking Thread - Memorial Day Weekend Edition: "I remember one rainy morning as a kid. I had just joined the Boy Scouts, and I was walking through a cemetary with a large, cloth sack of American flags. I had a section to cover, a list in my hand, and I spent all morning placing those small flags in front of the tombstones of dead warriors. After placing the flag, I would stand at attention in my dripping poncho, snap a three fingered Scout salute, and moved on. I remember placing a flag on the tomb of a Colonel of militia who fallen in the Revolution, and another on the fresh grave of an Army Corporal who had fallen in Vietnam. It being a Southern cemetery, small Confederate flags already marked many graves. American flags were placed with them.
When we were finished later that morning, Dad picked me up at the cemetary gate, gave me a smile and took me to the local High’s for an ice cream cone. I might have been wet, but I wasn’t one to turn down ice cream. It cleared up that afternoon and that evening, Dad fired up the grill. Hamburgers and hot dogs. Potato salad and cole slaw. As much Coke as I could drink and more ice cream, besides. Relatives and friends dropped by. It was a long, wonderful day."

No comments: