Sunday, February 17, 2008

Michigan Math. Good news/Bad news?


The good news: The kid (or a kid surrogate) can write a short letter to the editor.
The bad news: He's in a class that "gives.....lots of hope and self-esteem". Proficiency
in math might be the better "gift".

The worse news: Our local paper printed this feel-good pap.
The even worse news: Only 53% of our kids meet or exceed MEAP math standards.... after 13 or MORE years in our public school disaster.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/2MEAP-Class_OF_2007_Statewide_MEAP_results_205716_7.pdf

Student gives a big shout-out to math - mlive.com:
"I'd like to give thanks to my 5th-grade teacher Mr. Carter, math teacher of 'Sharks' at Reeths-Puffer Intermediate school. This man has given me lots of hope and self-esteem.
I love his class. I look forward to having his class every day. He is a good friend to everybody. I'm sure everybody loves him. Woo-hoo, let's go to math!
Shyanne Foster"

No comments: