Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Give citizens facts before Shores votes
After reading the article in the June 25 Chronicle concerning Norton Shores' proposed road millage, I feel compelled to write. First, I find it disingenuous and misleading that under the title "Road Tax Details," The Chronicle stated that the 1.5 mills would cost a homeowner of a $50,000 house an extra $75 per year. I do not know of many houses in Norton Shores that have a taxable value of $50,000!
Instead, the taxable value of most homes in the city range between $100,000 to $175,000, which for the average taxpayer translates into $150 to $263 more in annual taxes if the millage passes. I urge you not to play fast and loose with your readers, but instead be upfront and give them the facts. I know they would appreciate it.
And, being upfront brings me to my second point. I have been a Norton Shores resident nearly my entire life, and have witnessed our quickly deteriorating roads. While I question whether the city is being overzealous in asking its taxpayers for an extra 1.5 mills in these tough economic times, I know that something needs to be done, and done quickly. However, it appears that the city is once again not being upfront with its citizens.
That is, the city refuses to inform its citizens as to which roads would most likely be improved if the millage passes. It uses excuses such as it being "too difficult at this stage" to create a street improvement list. What are the difficulties? What makes it "too difficult" now in June than in December? The city concedes that it has an inventory of the conditions of the roads, so what else does the city need?
Clearly, the city fears that an informed citizenry will make ill-informed decisions at the voting booth, and thus the city has made a decision to keep them in the dark until after the November vote. I believe it is the obligation of our councilmembers, all of whom are elected officials, to ensure that their constituents, before they pull the lever this November, are well informed and privy to all of the facts surrounding the millage. Norton Shores, be upfront and honest with your citizens.
Dan Olson
Norton Shores

No comments: