Saturday, July 24, 2010

Absentee ballot alert!

I was just about to mail in my absentee ballot last week and add the required stamp when it occurred to me that the large envelope might need more than the regular $.44 first class postage.

I weighed the envelope (it was about 1oz) but wondered if the large size might require more postage.
I took it to the Muskegon PO and they measured it (OK) and weighed it, not OK.
The envelope with my ballot weighted 1.1oz and required a $.61 stamp.

The envelope states "add correct postage" or something like that.
There is no suggestion that more than a regular first class stamp is necessary.

Most citizens don't have postage meters in their homes.
The weight of the envelope is VERY close to 1oz, so even if someone weighed it they might not realize the tiny difference that would require more postage.


And MOST IMPORTANT, if the wrong postage is affixed, the letter will be returned and the vote may be lost.


My question is simple:


Why not provide postage-paid envelopes or at least alert the voter that this mailing might need more than a regular $.44 stamp?

I live in Norton Shores and NS has chosen NOT to alert the voters to this problem.


I don't know what other cities/townships are doing but if you want your absentee vote to count, weigh it, measure it and add the correct postage.


And demand that your government officials make it clear or provide free postage in the future.


And tell your friends who vote absentee!

No comments: