"Students at Cal State San Marcos on Thursday hosted a “Whiteness Forum” as part of a communications class they are enrolled in, setting up more than a dozen displays that highlighted what they contend is how white privilege has oppressed people of color in a variety of ways.
- A “white beauty standard” display stated “we are studying the white hegemonic ideals of the beauty industry.”
- Another asked “who does whiteness say that you are,” noting “whiteness studies” is defined as “the study of the system of white dominion in our society with a focus on ideologies of white supremacy as collective, rather than white individuals.”
- A “Make America White Again” display included an image of Donald Trump’s baseball hat and argued his campaign has led to a wave of hate crimes.
- A “Whiteness in the Court” project explained “the law is a tool used by dominant groups, those that have the social, political and economic power, to represent their interests and reflect their values to maintain their privileged position over subordinate groups.”
It cited stats that “blacks are five times more likely to go to prison over whites of similar conviction” and “Latinos are three times more likely to go to prison over whites of similar conviction.”
- Other displays: “Gentrification is the new Colonialism,” “Stand up for Standing Rock” and a “Wheel of Whiteness.”
During the two-hour event, students who created the displays talked to guests about their projects, explaining their studies and quizzing passersby on facts and figures relating to race.
One group had guests spin the “Wheel of Whiteness.”
Another passed out “gentrification is the new colonialism” stickers..."