Monday, May 08, 2017

You May Like Obamacare, But Don't Forget About The People It's Hurt

You May Like Obamacare, But Don't Forget About The People It's Hurt
"...Arguing about it as if people like me don't is also not right.
You may know me as a political pundit and writer who has spoken publicly about how the Affordable Care Act negatively affected my family.
What you might not know is two years ago, I was a seven-month-pregnant widow with one toddler who got a letter two weeks after my husband died, informing me I’d lost my third or fourth health insurance plan since the Affordable Care Act passed. 
If you’ll remember, the promise was that I could keep my plan if I liked it.
Image result for obama care liesI could not.
I predicted what would happen to my family’s insurance, and to much less fortunate people subjected to the exchanges with us, many of whom have seen doubled premiums and tripled deductibles.
If you’ll remember, the promise was everyone’s premiums would go down.
They did not.
For predicting it, I was routinely called a lying hack in public.
...Most people who aren’t in the individual market, which is the one most affected by ACA, have no idea what the plans look like.
It is a market where the costs of the bill’s mandates are more visible, even when subsidized. When I cite exorbitant deductibles, folks tell me to suck it up and pay $3,000. 
I laugh at a $3,000 deductible. 
What in the old system was considered a very high deductible is now among the lower available, and premiums for any kind of deductible are high, even with subsidies. 
Many families have to hit $12,700, and they’re paying a mortgage-sized premium..."
Read on!

No comments: