"CNN is mocked and accused of turning Elmo into a 'propaganda puppet' after the beloved Sesame Street character is featured in a panel on Trump's travel ban
- Elmo appeared alongside CNN journalist Clarissa Ward and International Rescue Committee activist David Miliband in a Facebook Live panel on Monday
- The group were discussing the impact of the Supreme Court's decision to uphold President Trump's travel ban
- The Muppet dived into the political fray, to drive home the message that Syrian refugees and American citizens were the same 'deep down'
- 'Elmo thinks it's important to know that everybody is the same deep down and that's very important', he said
- A Sesame Workshop spokesperson said the show had a 'long history of looking at issues from a child's perspective'
- But right wing media groups, such as Fox, the Daily Caller and Breitbart, accused CNN of turning the beloved Muppet into a 'propaganda puppet'"