"For anyone still wondering why middle America’s so angry, just take a look at the guest list for the annual bash thrown by Washington Post heiress Lally Weymouth, currently the paper’s senior associate editor, in the Hamptons last week.
It was full of politicians and power brokers — the ones who pantomime outrage daily, accusing the other side of crushing the little guy, sure that the same voter will never guess that behind closed doors, they all get along.
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner partied with
- billionaire Democratic donor George Soros, who rubbed shoulders with billionaire
- GOP donor David Koch.
- Chuck Schumer and
- Kellyanne Conway were there. So were
- Democratic Rep. Carolyn Maloney,
- Ronald Lauder,
- Carl Icahn,
- Joel Klein,
- Cathie Black,
- reporters Steve Clemons and Maria Bartiromo,
- columnists Richard Cohen and Margaret Carlson,
- Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and
- Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao,
- Ray Kelly,
- Bill Bratton, and
- Steven Spielberg.
- Oh, and Lally’s uncle, former governor and senator Bob Graham and cousin Gwen Graham, who’s currently running for her dad’s old job as Florida’s governor.
Weymouth’s party is the latest reminder that for all the bruising rhetoric, the constant polls showing a deeply divided America and the most polarizing president in history, our battle isn’t red vs. blue, right vs. left:
It’s about the 1% vs. the rest of us.
They laugh as we take their political theater for real.