Friday, December 28, 2018

Teacher: Stroking Egos Does Nothing for Students. Raising Expectations Does. | Intellectual Takeout

Teacher: Stroking Egos Does Nothing for Students. Raising Expectations Does. | Intellectual Takeout
See the source image"Armed with a bachelor of science in elementary education, I charged into my career as a teacher.
I was immediately exposed to students at three levels of public schools:

  • A rather wealthy district with an average IQ of 120.
  • A classic, middle-class school.
  • A school that is best described as a mini United Nations.

In the “UN” school, approximately 25 percent of students were new immigrants, 30-35 percent were American-born blacks, and the remainder were 40-45 percent Caucasian.
The economic structure ranged from welfare to upper middle class.
One day, while grading fifth grade division papers I realized that the mistakes were not those of process but those of factual knowledge. 
The students did not know their times tables.
Believing the errors were redeemable, I asked myself, “What can be done to fix these computation mistakes?”..."
Read on!

No comments: