- 1620 - The Mayflower reached Provincetown, MA. The ship discharged the Pilgrims at Plymouth, MA, on December 26, 1620.
- 1783 - The first successful flight was made in a hot air balloon. The pilots, Francois Pilatre de Rosier and Francois Laurent, Marquis d'Arlandes, flew for 25 minutes and 5― miles over Paris.
- 1942 - The Alaska Highway across Canada was formally opened.
- 1953 - British Natural History Museum authorities announced that "Piltdown Man" was a hoax.
- 1979 - The U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, was attacked by a mob that set the building afire and killed two Americans.
- 1980 - An estimated 83 million viewers tuned in to find out "who shot J.R." on the CBS prime-time soap opera Dallas. Kristin was the character that fired the gun. (Texas)
- 1980 - 87 people died in a fire at the MGM Grand Hotel-Casino in Las Vegas, NV.
- 1995 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above the 5,000-mark (5,023.55) for the first time.
- 2000 - The Florida Supreme Court granted Al Gore's request to keep the presidential recounts going.
- 2013 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above 16,000 for the first time.
Saturday, November 21, 2020
History for November 21
History for November 21 - On-This-Day.com