C.S. Lewis 1898
- 1890 - Navy defeated Army by a score of 24-0 in the first Army-Navy football game. The game was played at West Point, NY.
- 1892 - A patent was issued to Almon Brown Strowger for the rotary dial.
- 1947 - The U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution that called for the division of Palestine between Arabs and Jews.
- 1961 - The Mercury-Atlas 5 spacecraft was launched by the U.S. with Enos the chimp on board. The craft orbited the earth twice before landing off Puerto Rico.
- 1963 - U.S. President Johnson named a commission headed by Earl Warren to investigate the assassination of President Kennedy.
- 1975 - Bill Gates adopted the name Microsoft for the company he and Paul Allen had formed to write the BASIC computer language for the Altair.