- 1818 - The U.S. Senate ratified Rush-Bagot amendment to form an unarmed U.S.-Canada border.
- 1900 - The first book of postage stamps was issued. The two-cent stamps were available in books of 12, 24 and 48 stamps.
- 1917 - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin returned to Russia to start Bolshevik Revolution after years of exile.
- 1922 - Annie Oakley shot 100 clay targets in a row, to set a women's record.
- 1943 - In Basel, Switzerland, chemist Albert Hoffman accidently discovered the the hallucinogenic effects of LSD-25 while working on the medicinal value of lysergic acid.
- 1962 - Walter Cronkite began anchoring "The CBS Evening News".
- 1968 - The Pentagon announced that troops would begin coming home from Vietnam.
- 1972 - Two giants pandas arrived in the U.S. from China.
- 1992 - The House ethics committee listed 303 current and former Democrat lawmakers who had overdrawn their House bank accounts in the "House Banking Scandal".
Friday, April 16, 2021
History for April 16
History for April 16 - On-This-Day.com