I’ve lived in Minneapolis my entire life. I’m leaving Friday. I no longer recognize my hometown.
OPINION: I no longer recognize Minneapolis. I no longer want to live here.
- From comments:"Minneapolis is rapidly turning into Baltimore. The most pathetic thing was the dinner theater canceling a production of Cinderella because it was “too white”."
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — Minneapolis is my home. My happiest memories are here. It’s where I learned to ride a bike, had my first date, received my high school diploma.
But today, I’m too afraid to even walk in my neighborhood by myself.
- The ACE Hardware down the street? The one that I used to bike to in the summer? Robbed twice in the past five days.
- The Walgreens next to my elementary school? Molotov cocktail thrown into it.
- The Lake Harriet Bandshell, where we spent countless Mother’s Days? Homeless encampment popped up next door.
- Ten minutes from my house, at 38th and Chicago, there is still an autonomous zone. Police are not allowed to enter. Residents have died because medical authorities couldn’t get through, and carjackers (of which there are MANY) will speed into the zone to escape officer pursuit.
- My favorite dinner theater canceled its production of Cinderella because it was “too white.”...Read all.