Thursday, April 29, 2021

Why I regret buying an electric car - The Spectator

Why I regret buying an electric car - The Spectator
"I bought an electric car and wish I hadn’t. 
It seemed a good idea at the time, albeit a costly way of proclaiming my environmental virtuousness. 
The car cost €44,000 ($53,000), less a €6,000 ($7,200) subsidy courtesy of French taxpayers, the overwhelming majority poorer than me. 
Fellow villagers are driving those 20-year-old diesel vans that look like garden sheds on wheels.
...The car is chargeable, but only if you don’t cook, wash clothes or turn on the dishwasher at the same time.
...We arrive and hunt and ultimately find the charger. 
It doesn’t work. Range anxiety? 
More like a panic attack.
We make it to the next charger on the freeway with the battery practically empty and my marriage in peril. 
...In Britain, meanwhile, the Department for Transport has, I read, granted an exclusive contract to install rapid chargers at motorway service areas to a company glorying in the name Ecotricity. 
These turn out to be equally unreliable and very costly to use. 
Social networks are rapidly bombarded with complaints...Read on. It gets worse!

No comments: