Joe Louis (Barrow) 1914 - Boxer, "The Brown Bomber"
- 1607 - An expedition led by Captain Christopher Newport arrived at Jamestown, Virginia. The passengers went ashore the next day and this site became the first permanent settlement English colony in America.
- 1821 - The first practical printing press was patented in the U.S. by Samuel Rust.
- 1846 - The U.S. declared that war existed with Mexico.
- 1865 - The last land engagement of the American Civil War was fought at the Battle of Palmito Ranch in far south Texas, more than a month after Gen. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, VA.
- 1888 - Slavery was abolished in Brazil.
- 1897 - Guglielmo Marconi sent the world's first wireless communication over open sea.
- 1985 - A confrontation between Philadelphia authorities and the radical group MOVE ended as police dropped an explosive onto the group's headquarters. Eleven people died in the fire that resulted.