Joseph Warren 1741 - Doctor, played a leading role in organizations in Boston during the American Revolution.
- 1776 - In America, the Continental Congress formed a committee to draft a Declaration of Independence from Britain.
- 1895 - Charles E. Duryea received the first U.S. patent granted to an American inventor for a gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1930 - William Beebe dove to a record-setting depth of 1,426 feet off the coast of Bermuda. He used a diving chamber called a bathysphere.
- 1963 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested in Florida for trying to integrate restaurants.
- 1963 - Alabama Gov. George Wallace allowed two black students to enroll at the University of Alabama.
- 1987 - Margaret Thatcher became the first British prime minister in 160 years to win a third consecutive term of office.
- 1990 - The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a law that would prohibit the desecration of the American Flag.
- 1993 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that people who commit "hate crimes" could be sentenced to extra punishment. The court also ruled in favor of religious groups saying that they indeed had a constitutional right to sacrifice animals during worship services.