Tim Allen 1953 - Comedian, actor
- 1777 - The Marquis de Lafayette arrived in the American colonies to help with their rebellion against the British.
- 1825 - Walter Hunt patented the safety pin. Hunt then then sold the rights for $400.
- 1866 - The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was passed by the U.S. Congress. It was ratified on July 9, 1868. The amendment was designed to grant citizenship to and protect the civil liberties of recently freed slaves.
- 1900 - China's Boxer Rebellion against foreigners and Chinese Christians erupted into violence.
- 1966 - The landmark "Miranda v. Arizona" decision was issued by the U.S. Supreme Court. The decision ruled that criminal suspects had to be informed of their constitutional rights before being questioned by police.
- 1971 - The New York Times began publishing the "Pentagon Papers". The articles were a secret study of America's involvement in Vietnam.
- 1979 - Sioux Indians were awarded $105 million in compensation for the U.S. seizure in 1877 of their Black Hills in South Dakota.
- 1992 - Future U.S. President Bill Clinton criticized rap singer Sister Souljah for making remarks "filled with hatred" towards whites.