Antoine de Saint-Exupery 1900
- 1767 - The British Parliament approved the Townshend Revenue Acts. The acts imposed import duties on glass, lead, paint, paper and tea shipped to America.
- 1860 - The first iron-pile lighthouse was completed at Minot’s Ledge, MA.
- 1888 - Professor Frederick Treves performed the first appendectomy in England.
- 1926 - Fascists in Rome added an hour to the work day in an economic efficiency measure.
- 1953 - The Federal Highway Act authorized the construction of 42,500 miles of freeway from coast to coast.
- 1972 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the death penalty could constitute "cruel and unusual punishment." The ruling prompted states to revise their capital punishment laws.
- 1995 - The shuttle Atlantis and the Russian space station Mir docked, forming the largest man-made satellite ever to orbit the Earth.
- 2007 - The first generation Apple iPhone went on sale.