Thomas Sowell 1930
- 1942 - The WAVES were created by legislation signed by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The members of the Women's Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service were a part of the U.S. Navy.
- 1945 - The USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. The ship had just delivered key components of the Hiroshima atomic bomb to the Pacific island of Tinian. Only 316 out of 1,196 men aboard survived the attack.
- 1956 - The phrase "In God We Trust" was adopted as the U.S. national motto.
- 1965 - U.S. President Johnson signed into law Social Security Act that established Medicare and Medicaid. It went into effect the following year.
- 1990 - In Spring Hill, TN, the first Saturn automobile rolled off the assembly line.
- 2003 - In Mexico, the last 'old style' Volkswagen Beetle rolled off an assembly line.