Milton Friedman 1912 - Economist
- 1790 - The first U.S. patent was issued to Samuel Hopkins for his process for making potash and pearl ashes. The substance was used in fertilizer.
- 1945 - Pierre Laval of France surrendered to Americans in Austria.
- 1964 - The American space probe Ranger 7 transmitted pictures of the moon's surface.
- 1980 - China's population reached 1 billion.
- 1989 - A pro-Iranian group in Lebanon released a videotape reportedly showing the hanged body of American hostage William R. Higgins.
- 1991 - U.S. President George H.W. Bush and Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev signed the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.