Chaim Herzog (Israel) 1918
- 1787 - The Constitution of the United States of America was signed by delegates at the Constitutional Convention.
- 1796 - U.S. President George Washington's Farewell Address was read before the U.S. Congress.
- 1862 - The Battle of Antietam took place during the American Civil War. More than 23,000 men were killed, wounded, or missing. The Rebel advance was ended with heavy losses to both armies.
- 1920 - The American Professional Football Association was formed in Canton, OH. It was the precursor to the National Football League (NFL).
- 1930 - Construction on Boulder Dam, later renamed Hoover Dam, began in Black Canyon, near Las Vegas, NV.
- 1953 - Ernie Banks became the first black baseball player to wear a Chicago Cubs uniform. He retired in 1971 known as 'Mr. Cub'.
- 1976 - NASA unveiled the space shuttle Enterprise in Palmdale, CA.
- 1983 - Vanessa Williams, as Miss New York, became the first black woman to be crowned Miss America.