Samuel Johnson 1709
- 1759 - The French formally surrendered Quebec to the British.
- 1789 - Alexander Hamilton negotiated and secured the first loan for the United States. The Temporary Loan of 1789 was repaid on June 8, 1790 at the sum of $191,608.81.
- 1793 - U.S. President George Washington laid the actual cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol.
- 1850 - The Fugitive Slave Act was declared by the U.S. Congress. The act allowed slave owners to claim slaves that had escaped into other states.
- 1947 - The United States Air Force was established as a separate military branch by the National Security Act.
- 1981 - A museum honoring former U.S. President Ford was dedicated in Grand Rapids, MI.