Thomas Nast 1840 - Political cartoonist that created the Republican elephant and the Democrat donkey
- 1928 - The U.S. announced that it would recognize the Nationalist Chinese Government.
- 1939 - After 19 days of resistance, Warsaw, Poland, surrendered to the Germans after being invaded by the Nazis and the Soviet Union during World War II.
- 1954 - The "Tonight!" show made its debut on NBC-TV with Steve Allen as host.
- 1986 - The U.S. Senate approved federal tax code changes that were the most sweeping since World War II.
- 1994 - More than 350 Republican congressional candidates signed the Contract with America. It was a 10-point platform they pledged to enact if voters sent a GOP majority to the House.