Miguel de Cervantes 1547
- 1789 - A regular army was established by the U.S. War Department with several hundred men.
- 1943 - U.S. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marchal Pietro Badoglio signed an armistice aboard the British ship Nelson.
- 1951 - The first network football game was televised by CBS-TV in color. The game was between the University of California and the University of Pennsylvania.
- 1953 - "Make Room for Daddy" premiered on ABC-TV.
- 1967 - The International Monetary Fund reformed monetary systems around the world.
- 1982 - In Chicago, IL, seven people died after taking capsules of Extra-Strength Tylenol that had been laced with cyanide. 264,000 bottles were recalled.
- 1984 - Elizabeth Taylor was voted to be the world's most beautiful woman in a Louis Harris poll. Taylor was at the time in the Betty Ford Clinic overcoming a weight problem.