Tim Robbins 1958
- 1793 - During the French Revolution, Queen Marie Antoinette was beheaded after being convicted of treason.
- 1859 - Abolitionist John Brown led a raid on Harper's Ferry, VA (now located in West Virginia).
- 1869 - A hotel in Boston became the first in the U.S. to install indoor plumbing.
- 1916 - Margaret Sanger opened the first birth control clinic in New York City, NY.
- 1962 - U.S. President Kennedy was informed that there were missile bases in Cuba, beginning the Cuban missile crisis.
- 1997 - Charles M. Schulz and his wife Jeannie announced that they would give $1 million toward the construction of a D-Day memorial to be placed in Virginia.