Richard Dreyfuss 1947
- 1652 - The Massachusetts Bay Colony proclaimed itself to be an independent commonwealth.
- 1863 - The International Committee of the Red Cross was founded.
- 1901 - Leon Czolgosz, the assassin of U.S. President McKinley, was electrocuted.
- 1929 - America's Great Depression began with the crash of the Wall Street stock market.
- 1945 - The first ballpoint pens to be made commercially went on sale at Gimbels Department Store in New York at the price of $12.50 each.
- 1969 - The U.S. Supreme Court ordered an immediate end to all school segregation.
- 1974 - U.S. President Gerald Ford signed a new law forbidding discrimination in credit applications on the basis of sex or marital status