Norodom Sihanouk 1922
- 1517 - Martin Luther posted the 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Palace Church. The event marked the start of the Protestant Reformation in Germany.
- 1926 - Magician Harry Houdini died of gangrene and peritonitis resulting from a ruptured appendix.
- 1940 - The British air victory in the Battle of Britain prevented Germany from invading Britain.
- 1941 - Mount Rushmore was declared complete after 14 years of work. At the time the 60-foot busts of U.S. Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln were finished
- 1952 - The U.S. detonated its first hydrogen bomb.
- 1984 - Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated near her residence by two Sikh security guards. Her son, Rajiv, was sworn in as prime minister.