Bat Masterson 1853 - U.S. Army scout, lawman, gambler, journalist
- 1789 - U.S. President Washington set aside this day to observe the adoption of the Constitution of the United States.
- 1917 - The National Hockey League (NHL) was officially formed in Montreal, Canada.
- 1941 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day. In 1939 Roosevelt had signed a bill that changed the celebration of Thanksgiving to the third Thursday of November.
- 1975 - Lynette"Squeaky" Fromme was found guilty by a federal jury in Sacramento, CA, for trying to assassinate U.S. President Ford on September 5.
- 2003 - The U.N. atomic agency adopted a resolution that censured Iran for past nuclear cover-ups and warning that it would be policed to put to rest suspicions that the country had a weapons agenda.