Saturday, January 29, 2022

“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy”

“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy”
  • Alfred Henry Lewis’ observation dating back to 1896 still rings true. 
  • There is a thin line between society and anarchy. 
  • It’s thinner than we want to admit.

So I saw this comment on Facebook:

Dear city dwellers, google the 9 meal rule and then think about why its a terrible idea to piss off the people who deliver your stuff. and could you do me a favour and not collapse the supply chain until I get home next week? that would be super. thanks.

Here we go. Just like Mass Formation Psychosis, another term I had not heard of, the “9 Meal Rule.”

...I thought it might be one of those phrases that really had no provable attribution, but nope, I found it in the digitized archives of Cosmopolitan maintained by various universities, in the March 1906 issue in an article titled, The Day of Discontent...Read all!

There it was.

No comments: