Calvin Coolidge (U.S.) 1872 - 30th President of the United States
- 1776 - The amended Declaration of Independence, prepared by Thomas Jefferson, was approved and signed by John Hancock, the President of the Continental Congress in America.
- 1802 - The U.S. Military Academy oficially opened at West Point, NY.
- 1817 - Construction began on the Erie Canal, to connect Lake Erie and the Hudson River.
- 1881 - Tuskegee Institute opened in Alabama.
- 1886 - The first rodeo in America was held at Prescott, AZ.
- 1934 - At Mount Rushmore, George Washington's face was dedicated.
- 1966 - U.S. President Johnson signed the Freedom of Information Act, which went into effect the following year.
- 1976 - The U.S. celebrated its Bicentennial.