Robin Leach 1941 - Television host ("Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous")
- 1833 - The "Factory Act" was passed in England to settle child labor laws.
- 1886 - In New York City, Chinese Ambassador Li Hung-chang's chef invented chop suey.
- 1944 - During the continuing celebration of the liberation of France from the Nazis, 15,000 American troops marched down the Champs Elysees in Paris.
- 1990 - Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, in a television interview, declared that America could not defeat Iraq.
- 1991 - The Communist Party in the Soviet Union had its bank accounts frozen and activities were suspended because of the Party's role in the failed coup attempt against Mikhail Gorbachev.
- 1991 - The republics of Russia and Ukraine signed an agreement to stay in the Soviet Union.