Ivan Pavlov 1849 - Physiologist
- 1777 - Philadelphia was occupied by British troops during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1789 - Thomas Jefferson was appointed America's first Secretary of State. John Jay was appointed the first chief justice of the U.S. Samuel Osgood was appointed the first Postmaster-General. Edmund Jennings Randolph was appointed the first Attorney General.
- 1955 - The New York Stock Exchange suffered its worst decline since 1929 when the word was released concerning U.S. President Eisenhower's heart attack.
- 1960 - The first televised debate between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy took place in Chicago, IL.
- 1962 - "The Beverly Hillbillies" premiered on CBS-TV.
- 1964 - "Gilligan's Island" premiered on CBS-TV. The show aired for the last time on September 4, 1967.