Ed Sullivan 1902
- 1787 - The U.S. Congress voted to send the new Constitution of the United States to the state legislatures for their approval.
- 1789 - In the U.S., the first Federal Congress passed a resolution that asked President George Washington to recommend to the nation a day of thanksgiving. Several days later Washington issued a proclamation that named Thursday, November 26, 1789 as a "Day of Publick Thanksgivin." The fixed-date for Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday of November, was established on December 26, 1941.
- 1850 - The U.S. Navy abolished flogging as a form of punishment.
- 1961 - "Dr. Kildare" premiered on NBC-TV.
- 1974 - First Lady Betty Ford underwent a mastectomy to remove a lump in her breast.