Andrew "Dice" Clay 1958
- 1943 - U.S. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marchal Pietro Badoglio signed an armistice aboard the British ship Nelson.
- 1960 - "My Three Sons" debuted on ABC-TV.
- 1967 - The International Monetary Fund reformed monetary systems around the world.
- 1982 - In Chicago, IL, seven people died after taking capsules of Extra-Strength Tylenol that had been laced with cyanide. 264,000 bottles were recalled.
- 1994 - The GOP controlled U.S. House voted to end the practice of lobbyist buying meals and entertainment for members of Congress.
- 2008 - The Dow Industrial Average lost 777 points. It was the largest one-day decline to date. The drop came after the U.S. House of Representatives had voted down a $700 billion bank bailout plan.